Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

The Selection (The Selection #1) by: Kiera Cass

 Two Stars

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts

to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
 I hate pretty covers. You know the inside's going to be bad, but the cover's just like: give me a chance. I'll be good, I promise.
 

And so I went and got it. I mean, the dress! It's so pretty. Now I'm sad I wasted my time. 

Pretty covers get me all the time.

There are so many inconsistencies in The Selection. For example, America is poor, but can afford good food.

The character names are just weird. America Singer. America-wait for it- sings. Who do you know who's name is Aspen? What about Maxon?

The characters themselves were flat. America was so predictable in what she was going to do. She also cried and complained a lot. And when someone called her pretty, she's like, "Don't call me pretty. Everyone calls me pretty." Why don't you just take a complement as it is?

Everything in this book was easy to guess. There were no plot twists that shocked me.

This book is supposed to be dystopian. There is limited world building. I could imagine what it would be like.

The writing and dialogue weren't very good. It seems like a thirteen year old wrote this.

This is supposed to be a Bachelor/ Hunger Games book. I can see the Bachelor portion. I don't know how the Hunger Games is part of this.

However, I like the idea behind it.

Overall, don't read this book. It's really bad.

Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© The Reading Obsession All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates