Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Liebster Award and Its Origins

The awesome Yuan, from Obsessive Compulsive Reader has nominated me for the Liebster Award. This may or may not have completely inflated my ego even more. The sad thing was, I had no idea what it was, or who started it, or anything about it. For all I knew, it could have been an insult to me and my blogging ways.

The farthest back I think I found was a blog in 2003 or sometime close to that, but the post made no sense. Then, I found the Bird of Paradise blog, and this seems to be the oldest post about this. This post was written in 2010, and the rules have changed a lot since four entire years ago.

The rules were you had to pick three to five blogs with less than 3,000 readers. Go on their blog, congratulate them, and have them continue the chain reaction.

Now, the rules are to list 11 facts about yourself, answer 11 questions asked by the blog who nominated you, ask 11 new questions, then pick nine bloggers with less than 200 followers.

So, eleven facts about me that you might or might not know:

1) I am human.
Wow. Right? You would have never guessed this from reading.
2) I play the piano.
I started when I was three-ish and have kept playing ever since.
3) I know four languages.
English (fluently), Thai (decently), Mandarin Chinese (ish), and Spanish (horribly)
4) I blog about books.
You never would have guessed, wouldn't you? Me? Like books? Impossible!
5) If I despise a book, I'll read the entire thing.
This is extremely strange, but I just have to know how bad a book can get. And then I get angrier and more annoyed, but I won't stop. It's strange.
6) I'm really bad at this.
I'm sure I have a lot of interesting facts somewhere. But whenever someone asks me for a certain amount, I freeze up and I can't finish. Evidence- right now.
7) I have a dog.
The answer is no, he's not a guard dog. He's an actual (ish) dog. A shih tzu, if that counts as one.
8) I both hate and love romance books.
 If the romance is good, I'll like it. If it takes up the entire novel and there is no plot whatsoever, I get bored and mentally throw it across the room.
9) I hate generic messages or comments.
Yes. I understand that you don't have hours to type up a seventy paragraph email addressed to me and learn every minute detail about me. However, maybe you could actually learn my name before telling me to read and review your book? An email that says "Hi reader! You should read my book!" is not going to get me to read it. 
10) I love crime novels, but I can't write reviews for them.
I'm always terrified that I'll end up accidentally posting the killer in a summary, or someone will read between the lines and figure out who it is before ever reading the book. I keep trying to change this- in fact, I have twenty drafts of different crime books- but this refuses to happen.
11) I have run out of facts about myself.
That's considered a fact, isn't it? That I don't have any facts left? If it's not, I'm making it one.

Questions from Yuan

1) Favourite place(s) to read
Anywhere that's slightly quiet.
2) Bookshops vs library: which do you visit more often? Do you prefer buying or borrowing books?
Probably the library. I like owning books more, but all the bookstores in a twenty mile radius around me have closed.
3) Do you notate your books or keep them clean and pristine?
If it's on my Kindle, I'll annotate it a little. If it's not, I don't keep any messy supplies near it.
4) Who's your favourite artist/painting?
The Mona Lisa sounds like I know about art. Definitely that one. I like the... smile? Of her face? Yes. This definitely sounds legit.
5) Do you know a second language? If so, which one? If not, which one would you want to learn?
Oops. I already sort of answered this. The answer, by the way, is Thai.
6) Who's your celebrity crush?
Any author I like. Or book character I like.
7) Besides reading and blogging, what else do you like to do in your spare time?
Sleep. Eat. Attempt to play the piano like the people on TV do and hit my head against it.
8) Do you also write? If so, which genre?
No. I'm too terrified to.
9) Are you a coffee or tea person?
It depends. Do I feel like embracing my Asian side or being British? Or do I feel like embracing the stereotypical American-drinking-coffee? I have no idea. Whatever's available, I guess.
10) When you are having a bad day, what do you do to destress?
Read books that make me go, "AWWWW!" at the end from its cuteness.
11) If you suddenly received a monetary windfall (say $1000), what would you do with it?
Please. What would anyone do with it? Spend 9/10s of it on various books and put the rest in my bank.

Now, time for questions from me. I'm as bad doing this as I am answering them or coming up with facts.

1) What are your favorite genres?
2) Which fictional world would you most like to live in?
3) Why did you decide to blog?
4) What's your favorite food?
5) What is your least favorite part about blogging?
6) What is you favorite part about blogging?
7) How long does it take for you to write a post?
8) How do you feel about book release dates being pushed back?
9) What is you favorite part of the day?
10) What are some of your favorite and least favorite books turned into movies?
11) If you could go anywhere in this world, where would you go?


Nominated Blogs:
I don't like the number nine, for some reason, since it's too close to ten. But I already have over ten questions and answers, so I'm going to go with the more original rules and nominate 3 blogs. Also, I'm changing the rules to less than 500 followers, because I feel like using random powers that I like to think I gained by being nominated for this award.

1) Corrie the Book Crazed Girl
2) Michelle @ Book Hangovers Blabs Books
3) Wonderous Reviews

Congrats!
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© The Reading Obsession All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates