Pages

Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles #1) by: Kady Cross

Three Stars 

Goodreads Summary: 

In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one...except the "thing" inside her.When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no "normal" Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch....

Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of "them." The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets against the wishes of his band of misfits: Emily, who has her own special abilities and an unrequited love for Sam, who is part robot; and Jasper, an American cowboy with a shadowy secret.
Griffin's investigating a criminal called The Machinist, the mastermind behind several recent crimes by automatons. Finley thinks she can help--and finally be a part of something, finally fit in.
But The Machinist wants to tear Griff's little company of strays apart, and it isn't long before trust is tested on all sides. At least Finley knows whose side she's on--even if it seems no one believes her.

This is my first Steampunk book, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Finley is a girl that, when she's angry, sad, or scared, changes into some monster-ish thing. Her personality, I mean. Not her actual physical shape. She gets stronger and bolder. That'd be an awesome super power to have, wouldn't you think? But she complains about it a lot, which is really annoying. She wants to control it, which is awesome and all, but girl, stop whining about it! Do you know how many people would kill for the chance to do what you do?

The good thing is that there isn't an almost-rape scene played out as romantic. There is, however, a scene where a guy tries to rape her, but Finley almost kills him. If this was the only good part about the book, I'd still give it two stars instead of one. I really like this scene because it shows that females aren't all spineless.

Griffin was written amazingly. I liked how he was a Duke, but wasn't stuck up.

Jack is the other corner of this love triangle. The conversations with Finley were very fun to read about.

I like both of these characters on their own, but I'm not fond of them as a love triangle.

Emily was awesome. Another great thing about this book. Female characters are smart. Thank you, Kady Cross, for not making me lose my faith in YA books.

I love the setting. The late 19th century time period was really cool. There's a new mineral ore thing that people have found, which is the reason for the gadgets.

I really liked how Finley wasn't the only person this book was centered on. The point of views spiraled between characters, and you get to see what everyone thinks about the things that happen. There were two love triangles written, which I enjoyed.

The writing wasn't anything special, so this is all I'll say on the topic.

The pace of the book dragged a little for my taste. I found myself skimming some areas.

Overall, this was a pretty good book. The negatives were balanced by the positives. I look forward to reading the next installment in this series.
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© The Reading Obsession All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates