Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Five Stars

The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina

contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance.


Let me tell all of you awesome people a story. Once upon a time, in a country called America land far, far away, there lived a girl named Alisa. This girl was a smart and crazy;girl who was obsessed;enjoyed reading books. One day, this girl went into a magical bookstore called Barnes and Noble;to find a good book that she would read, so she could madly shove it into friends' faces and order them to read it;recommend it to friends.

When Alisa was browsing, she found a book with a;completely epic font and cover;striking cover. She vaguely remembered a review she found while stalking;while scanning her friends' blogs. The rating seemed to be very high, and she hoped she might find something else to obsess for a while;enjoy. After Alisa got home, she realized that her duties of ranting and gushing;calmly reviewing books was not finished yet, and she had to put down Shadow and Bone;before she even started it! Why did I do this? Why?;and finish the book that she had started.

When her rant ended;After reading the book she decided to read, Alisa wondered what she would read next because I am an idiot who forgot about this masterpiece before I even started.

Meanwhile, her friend, Tiny;Average-sized Korean found Shadow and Bone;and asked if she could borrow it. Being the idiot I so obviously am;Being the generous and ever helpful girl Alisa was, she decided to say yes. Tiny;Average-sized Korean finished it and told Alisa that if she didn't read it, she would physically hurt me;be very sad. Alisa was very scared, and rightly so;decided to calm Tiny;Average-sized Korean down and read the book All you readers now have to right to slap me for being an idiot an d not reading this sooner.

Was that a good story? Lovely. Now for the review.

Shadow and Bone was the completely epic book I was subconsciously looking for. Why did I read City of Bones;when I could have been reading this?

Alina Starkov is an orphan. She's never fitted in, is too skinny, and is basically every cliche' in YA books. How did Bardugo manage to make her amazing? I don't know. It must be some super secret Grisha power.

Anyways, one day, when she was crossing something called the Shadow Fold, a great rift devoid of light, she and the rest of her group were attacked. When her childhood friend is endangered, she finds out that she has this awesome power and uses it to save him. She is then taken from her friend to be trained to be Grisha. What are Grisha, you ask? Read the book, and then find out.

Alina was a good main character. She started out a bit, well, a lot, naive, but actually grew up. Did she mature? Yes. Did she develop her powers? Yes. And now, for the most important question. Did I like her? No. No I didn't.

Don't worry. I'm not that crazy. Of course I liked her. She's impossible to dislike.

The Darkling is a- wait for it- dark creature who wants her help to destroy the Fold. He's one part of this screwed up love triangle. Yes. I like him. I like him a lot. If Alina doesn't want him, can I have him?

The other point is Mal. Mal is the childhood friend who was almost killed. When Alina left, he became a soldier. That's all I'm going to say.

It was a completely awesome world to be in. I heard it was based on Russian mythology and culture. Now, Young Adult mythology screws up the actual mythology, so everything I read might be incorrect. However, I know nothing of Russian mythology, so I will base the rating on what I know. And what I know is that it was very enjoyable to read.

There were so many twists. And no, you don't get any spoilers or hints.

So, reader of my post, go read this book now. Shoo. If you don't Tiny;Average-sized Korean and I will hunt you down.

And by the way, my neighbor's name is Alina. So I was picturing her throughout the book.

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for. Some awesome quotes.

“I'm not like you, Mal. I never really fit in the way you did. I never really belonged anywhere."

"You belonged with me.” 


"The problem with wanting... is that it makes you weak" 
“People, particularly big men carrying big rifles, don't expect lip from a scrawny thing like me. They always look a bit dazed when they get it.”  

Share:

1 comment:

  1. Ahahha! Loved the beginning story ;) ahahaha <3

    *SLAPS* WHY DID YOU NOT READ THIS SOONER? (Someone should hit me too cause we read this at the same time ahahah)

    You liked the Darkling? I saw no appeal!! I loved Mal ;)

    A very entertaining review!
    - Sam :D

    ReplyDelete

© The Reading Obsession All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates