Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1) by: Rachel Hawkins

Four stars

Goodreads Summary:

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.
My librarian told me to read this. At first, I was, like,"Okay.. Sure," and forgot about it. Then my friend borrowed it from me and she told me how awesome and amazing it was. Now, my friend usually has good judgement, so I decided to start reading it. I'm so glad I did.
Sophie Mercer was a hilarious main character. Not the way where I'm laughing at her stupidity, but in the way that I laugh from her jokes. She is really easy to like. Her friendship with Jenna, her room mate, seems natural. Her personality is great. Sophie doesn't just pretend not to notice when something bad happens. She also doesn't blame everything on herself with no evidence.
I really like Archer, even after what happened. He seems like a likable guy and I want to know what happens to him. He's funny and witty.
The plot wasn't very serious. It was easy to guess who the villain was, but there were a few surprises, too. The entire story was light-hearted and a quick read.
Hex Hall is very simple and easy to understand.
This is one of the actually good paranormal academy books. I'll definitely read the next ones in the series.

Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

© The Reading Obsession All rights reserved | Theme Designed by Seo Blogger Templates